How To Clean Leather - Leather Cleaning Tips
- Always pre-test any Leather Cleaner in an inconspicuous area to check for colorfastness. Use a soft, clean, white lint-free cloth and apply the leather cleaner gently. If any color appears on the cloth, stop cleaning and contact us on our website for further instructions.
Cleaning Aniline & Pigmented Leather (Cleaning Code A and P):
- Apply leather cleaner to a sponge and squeeze to create foam.
- Gently apply the foam to the soiled area using a gentle circular motion. Avoid rubbing the leather.
- Use light coats of the foam for all applications. Allow the cleaner to sit for a few minutes.
- Blot the cleaned area with a soft, clean white lint-free cloth. If the area is heavily soiled, you may need to reapply the cleaner.
- If the leather is extremely dry and the cleaner dissipates quickly, add 25% distilled water to the leather cleaner. This will provide the necessary dampening effect to release the soil for cleaning.
- Leather will naturally dry, but you can speed up the drying process by using a hair dryer held 8-10 inches away from the leather.
Routine Cleaning for Aniline & Pigmented Leather:
- To maintain the longevity of your leather products, perform routine cleaning 2-6 times per year, depending on usage.
- After routine cleaning, follow up with a leather conditioner and leather protectant to maintain the finish and increase durability.
- For leather in high traffic areas, use leather cleaner during routine dusting. Apply the leather cleaner with a soft, clean, white lint-free cloth as if dusting the leather.
Cleaning Nubuck Leather (Cleaning Code N):
- Cleaning nubuck and suede can be challenging due to the brushed nature of the leather and its lack of protection from soiling.
- Work the leather cleaner into the nap of the leather using a soft bristle brush or Nubuck Cloth.
- After cleaning, use a hairdryer to assist in drying and a Nubuck Cloth to raise the nap of the leather.
- If the leather is not heavily soiled, use the Nubuck Cleaning Cloth gently. The cloth acts like an aggressive pad that raises the nap and scrapes off soil from the surface.
- The abrasion from the Nubuck Cloth helps break up heavily soiled areas for the leather cleaner to react.
Remember to always follow the cleaning instructions specific to your leather type for the best results and to maintain the beauty and durability of your leather products. If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to us for assistance. Happy cleaning!